Location: Bloxham, Banbury OX15 4PE
Salary: £18,000 - £20,500, depending on experience
Contract: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year - 5 days over 7, with 30 minutes unpaid lunch break (Flexibility to work overtime when required)
Bloxham School is a medium sized, independent co-educational day and boarding school for students aged 11-18. Situated in the beautiful Oxfordshire village of Bloxham, the school is only three miles away from the M40 London to Birmingham motorway. Our students enjoy superb facilities for academic work, sport, technology and the arts on a modern, single-site campus.
Bloxham School is looking to appoint a Gardener and Sites Operative to provide support to the Head Groundsman in all areas of grounds support and gardening, subject to the successful candidate's experience and skillset.
Applications from apprentices would be accepted for this position.
Gardener and Sites Operative - The Role:
• Lawn maintenance and cultivation
• Soil cultivation, digging, forking, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, bed preparation and planting
• Undertake routine maintenance work of surfaces and landscapes
• Use and maintain hand tools and basic light machinery and plant
• Possible requirement to drive vehicles and equipment as required for ground's operations
• Identify and recommend improvements to work systems, staff and machinery utilisation
• Report any mechanical defects or damage to equipment to the Head Groundsman
• To assist when required on any major school events e.g. Founderstide with the Estates team
• Prepare the grounds in accordance with the school's expectations.
Health and Safety
• Assist the Head Groundsman in ensuring appropriate Risk Assessments and Method Statements (RAMS) are in place for all works undertaken by the Garden team; Complete the compilation of any missing or outstanding RAMS.
• Ensure compliance with reasonable safety standards and agreed RAMS
• Report any failings or concerns to the Head Groundsman immediately.
Coordination and Management
• Take directive from the Head Groundsman to ensure all requests of work are carried out fully and in a timely manner
• Ensure the Garden Team have accessibility to the materials needed to undertake the requested tasks
• Form an active part of the Grounds and Gardens Team, supporting the Head Groundsman and carrying out tasks deemed commensurate with the position
• Interact positively and confidently within the school community, building and maintaining good communication with other staff, students and visitors
• Ensure where necessary that all decisions or problems are communicated back to the Head Groundsman in a timely manner
• Attend regular meetings with the Head Groundsman to ensure effective and meaningful lines of communication are maintained at all times
• Maintain good time keeping and work in the most efficient and effective manner possible
• Attend and undertake all training necessary, including refresher training to enable fulfilment of the at all times
• Attend external meetings or courses as required
• Obtain and maintain professional qualifications in-line with the role and responsibilities
• Present a smart and professional image at all times
• Complete any other reasonable requests made by the Head Groundsman or Estates Manager
Gardener and Sites Operative - Personal Specification, Skills & Experience:
• Good knowledge of plant care within formal settings
• Proven experience of lawn care
• Good level of general secondary education
• Clean driving licence
• Flexible approach
• Good understanding of Health and Safety
• Able to work unsupervised and as part of a team and showing initiative
• Well organised and capable of prioritising work
• Experience of working within an education setting
• First Aid qualification
• PA1, PA6 spraying certificate
• RHS or horticultural qualification
• Previous training in manual handling
• Annual salary: £18,000 - £20,500 depending on experience
• 21 days paid holiday plus 8 bank holidays. Holiday allowance increases by 1 day for each completed academic year of service to a maximum of 25 days.
• Enrolment in the School's defined pension scheme after three months
• School meal available during working hours
• Access at no charge to the School's sporting, swimming and fitness facilities
If you feel you have the necessary skills and experience to be successful in this role click on "Apply" now forwarding an up to date copy of your CV for consideration in the first instance.
Applications will be assessed upon receipt and we reserve the right to interview and appoint prior to the closing date. Therefore, an early application is strongly advised.
No Agencies Please.
Banbury, England, OX16, United Kingdom