At Network Rail we are dedicated to becoming one of Britain's best employers and believe this starts with placing the candidate at the heart of everything we do!
Our ambition to be responsive to passengers and freight users, drives us every day and we're empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take responsibility for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We're passionate about great service and we ask ourselves, what can we do to put our passengers and freight users at the centre of everything we do? With this in mind, we pull together as one industry because we care about people and teamwork is key. For more information about Network Rail click here.Brief Description
To deliver a town planning service including advice and consents forprojects and cases.About the role (External)
You will undertake the provision of Town Planning and Heritage advice within Network Rail and to external clients and stakeholders to a high professional standard. This will involve the subsequent submission of relevant applications to Local Planning Authorities and potential appeals to PINS across the Wales and Western Region.
Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant town planning qualification, you will be training towards or already be MRTPI or MRICS qualified, you'll have strong communication skills both written and verbal.
You will also have practical town planning experience including dealing with members of the public, strong presentation skills, a full driving licence, a commercial acumen and will be a positive and proactive team player. A good understanding of planning and heritage legislation is essential.
There is rarely a typical day with a varied and interesting caseload supporting both operational railway issues and commercial property development many including listed buildings as well as responding to planning consultations for third party development or representations to planning policy documents.
There are many exciting operational projects currently being developed and delivered across the Wales and Western Region including the refurbishment of the iconic grade 1 Bristol Temple Meads Station, the grade 2* listed Barmouth Viaduct, a significant programme of coastal resilience in the Dawlish area, re-opening of freight only railways to passenger services, supporting station masterplans and many new accessible passenger footbridges at our stations across the region.
This fixed term vacancy has arisen as the result of an internal secondment and is based in Network Rail offices in Bristol close to Temple Meads Station, although there will be regular travel across the Region and to other Network Rail offices. During the Covid19 situation the vacancy will be based at home until normal office working recommences.
· Maintain strong relationships with, and be responsive to the needs of, individual customers on specific projects and programmes across the range of Town Planning services.
· Support existing relationships with external stakeholders to facilitate delivery of Town Planning services, on specific projects and programmes, through external processes.
· Deliver advice and consents to support the delivery programme. Represent Network Rail externally in negotiations on Town Planning and Heritage issues.
· To develop and maintain close and effective working relationships with internal colleagues to enable efficient and effective service delivery.
· Deliver an efficient and effective Town Planning service to the specified client group(s) including (but not limited to) preparing and submitting statutory planning and related notifications and applications, submitting appeals, responding to statutory development plan consultations and providing development appraisals. Provide professional direction, representation and support projects to internal clients and external stakeholders to maximise asset value and minimise project risk.
· Provide technical leadership on the full range of Town Planning services within Wales and Western Region.
· Identify and implement changes required to support Town Planning services overall strategy and the delivery of efficient and effective services. Provide input to the provision of strategic and tactical support and guidance on development programmes and projects.
· Responsible for Town Planning support to less complex projects.
· Support the resourcing and management of Town Planning services to the client group and ad hoc projects/programmes for the work area.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
· Educated to degree level or equivalent in town planning or related discipline.
· Participating in, or eligible for, for RTPI or RICS licentiate scheme
· Strong communication and negotiation skills
· Understanding of heritage legislation and issues
· Understanding of environmental legislation and issues
· Full Driving LicenceHow to apply (External)
Salary: £40,107 - £45,120 per annum. Want to find out about what benefits we offer? click here
This is a fixed term opportunity that will end 12 months after the start date.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Click here for more information We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
Safe behaviour is a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should be able to demonstrate their awareness of our safety vision
During COVID19 interviews are being carried out online, these will take place on Thursday 16 and Friday 17 July..
Network Rail positively embraces flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks. Click here for more information
Closing date: 09 July 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
Click ‘apply now’ to apply.
Bristol, England, City of Bristol, BS1, United Kingdom