Position Description: QinetiQ
Radio Frequency Physics Effects (RF PE) Scientist/Engineer
Farnborough, GU14 0LX
This position presents an opportunity to support research, test and evaluation of electronic systems for military and commercial clients through modelling and experimentation. The successful applicant will receive training to deliver expertise in the area of radiated radio frequency (RF) physics (with a strong focus on high power radio frequency directed energy).
• Carry out modelling and analysis to design and predict the outcome of RF systems and the propagation of RF and microwave electromagnetic energy.
• Perform testing and measurements to research RF effects and propagation, both in test chambers and on outdoor test ranges.
• Have involvement in meetings with customers to understand their needs.
• Work with colleagues in the production of high-quality written documentation (e.g. proposals, reports etc).
• Deliver data analysis and presentations to project leads/customers.
• Present research to a variety of audiences including customers and conferences.
• Carry out technical tasks or projects in the required time, cost, and to customer satisfaction.
Key Knowledge, Skills & Requirements:
• Background in radiated radio frequency electromagnetic energy testing and analysis;
• Preferably have some experience in the use of radio frequency measurement systems, e.g. setting up and using a variety of amplifiers, antennas and measurement kit;
• Preferred skills: electromagnetic modelling, software modelling of radio frequency propagation and the application of modelling to safe separation distance calculations, MATLAB, Microsoft Packages;
• Good analytical skills, as well as good evaluative judgement based on the analysis of factual and qualitative information in novel situations;
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills and the ability to adapt information/style appropriate to the audience;
• Ideally, some experience in the use of software modelling of radio frequency propagation and the application of modelling to safe separation distance calculations.
• Exhibit a basic understanding of other concepts and procedures for example Quality Assurance and Health and Safety and how they relate to delivery of work.
• A formal qualification, such as a degree (or recognised equivalent) in Physics or Electrical/Electronic Engineering discipline;
• 2 to 3 years’ experience of working in a research laboratory is preferred;
• Able and willing to attain UK SC level clearance
Why join us?
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success with QinetiQ is the appetite for innovation and courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges. Joining QinetiQ offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting-edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests. We offer an opportunity to work across a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact.
#QQ Job Details
- Functional Area: Engineering
- Position Type: Full Time - Permanent
- Experience Required: Not Indicated
- Department: Engineering and Operations
- Education Required: University Degree
- Relocation Provided: No