We are seekinga driven and target-oriented professional for the role of Journal Manager for 3 new products within the Physical sciences domain. This is a full-time permanent position located in our London, UK office.
This is a unique opportunity to manage emerging journals due to be launched by the end of 2020 and to strategically set them up for ambitious growth. A Journal Specialist will be recruited to support this portfolio once the journals are operational. The role is, therefore, an exciting opportunity for a candidate who is passionate about science and has strong publishing and/or project management experience and proven line management responsibility.
In the short term, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the strategic development of the journals to ensure they launch on time. Once the journals have been launched, the successful candidate will be responsible for the management and growth of the journals through content acquisition initiatives, as well as building and leveraging strong relationships with the Editorial Boards of leading academics. They will be responsible for pro-actively managing the journals' performance and must show strong strategic direction to devise and implement editorial strategies to increase market share and build strong recognition for their portfolio, while creating new opportunities to drive key performance indicators.
Under the guidance of a Program Manager (Physical Sciences and Engineering) and working closely with members across multiple Editorial Teams (in particular the Launch Team initially), the Journal Manager role requires the ability to inspire across all levels, be a trusted advisor for internal and external stakeholders and arrive at solution-oriented approaches to deliver scalable growth. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and work experience within academic publishing, which will enable them to effectively engage with high-profile scholars and be an effective team manager and interface with other departments.Application deadline: 03 July 2020Responsibilities
- Responsible for the growth and development of Frontiers journals and accountable for meeting journal targets and objectives.
- Actively drives journal growth and development through Research Topics, editor engagement and journal/section launches informed by competitor and market analysis, and success measured by OKRs.
- Coordinates generation of Research Topics leads through different outreach channels and is responsible for publishing quality Research Topics.
- Ensures success of Research Topics, including development of new strategies for content acquisition, and improved communication with Topic Editors
- Manages part of journal budgets to ensure firm strategic return on investment and portfolio growth
- Responsible for accurate reporting on journal progress to targets, timely flagging of issues and identifying actions to resolve them
- Privileged point of contact for Chief Editors
- Responsible for editorial board management, engagement and recruitment, in collaboration with Chief Editors
- Represents Frontiers at selected conferences and events to promote the journal, engage the research community and commission Research Topics
- Lead of a journal team within a publishing program, responsible for overall journal team performance, recruitment and training of new team members and their continued development within the Publishing Development department.
- At least 2 years of experience working in a scientific publishing house, and/or strong equivalent project management experience;
- A degree or higher in portfolio-related subject area is essential with a keen interest in dissemination of research;
- At least 1 year of management experience;
- Initiative taking, dynamic and focused personality;
- Flawless communication in written and spoken English;
- Aptitude for digesting large amounts of information, and reacting effectively to urgent situations;
- Ability to work independently, be highly organized and meet deadlines;
- Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders;
- Technical proficiency, with hands-on skills using current software (particularly MS Excel);
- A working knowledge of common social networks and social media platforms;
CV, cover letter and a strategic business plan demonstrating how a Journal Manager would ensure the timely launch of a new journal in the area of Photonics, while setting it up for long-term growth and success. If selected for an interview, candidates will be asked to present their submitted business plan in 10 minutes.