Director/Senior Director, Cell Sciences
Abingdon, Oxfordshire, UK
Adaptimmune is a leading T-cell therapy company, designing and developing adoptive cell therapies for treating cancer. The Company's unique SPEAR (Specific Peptide Enhanced Affinity Receptor) T cell platform enables the engineering of T-cells to target and destroy cancer, including solid tumors.
Reporting into the VP Preclinical Research, this newly created role of Senior Director will provide inspirational leadership and strategic development of the Cell and Tissue Profiling, Tumour Models and Imaging Groups in the UK Research Labs. These are key groups within the Preclinical Research department, sourcing, characterising and profiling cells and tissues from across the Research Pipeline, through to the development of cutting edge tissue and organotypic models for the assessment of safety and efficacy of new SPEAR T-cell products.
This is a key role within Pipeline Research, contributing to the strategic direction of the Pipeline and providing functional and enterprise leadership, with the responsibility for delivering high quality potency and safety data. As a key member of the Preclinical leadership team, the successful candidate will ensure excellent communication and coordination of research activities across Pipeline Research from early proof of concept studies through to transition into clinical development.
• Drawing on the candidate’s considerable experience in immunology, cell biology and tumour biology, develop and implement strategies for cell and tissue profiling, modelling and imaging to support research and development teams from early stage proof of concept through to regulatory filings.
• Provide experience and mentorship for project leadership.
• Manage a diverse team of scientists engaged in cutting edge research and take responsibility for their development, acting as a role model, coach and mentor within the wider research team.
• Develop the team infrastructure and technical capabilities ensuring optimal team performance, in collaboration with other members of the Research Leadership Team.
• As a Research Leadership Team member, provide strategic input into the operation of Pipeline Research.
• Work in partnership with department heads to progress projects through the pipeline in a scientifically rigorous and efficient way.
• Support identification and evaluation of partnerships/alliances related to external opportunities in collaboration with Business Development and clinical development functions.
• Represent the company at conferences and scientific meetings externally, making presentations and preparing publications.
• Communicate strategy and progress to senior management at governance meetings.
• Manage department budget.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• PhD or MD/PhD in immunology, cell therapy for cancer or a related field.
• Extensive experience in immunology and cell and tumour biology in the immuno-oncology field.
• Experience in adoptive cell therapy for cancer in a biotech or pharma environment.
• Proven leadership and management experience.
• Project leadership experience.
• Experience in TCR or CAR research.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
• Highly developed credible leadership and management skills.
• Excellent scientific knowledge and drive.
• Ability to make sound and timely strategic decisions, prioritise, plan projects and deliver to timelines.
• Strong team player with ability to work in cross-functional teams.
• Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
• High attention to detail, good time management skills.
• Excellent numeracy and English language skills (both written and verbal).
• Proven project leadership skills.
• Computer literate and ability to familiarise with different IT systems.
By continuing with and submitting your application, you are agreeing to the following:
1. You have read and understood the statements made in the consent form and the ways in which your personal data will be stored and processed.
2. To the storing and processing of your personal information by Adaptimmune, members of the Adaptimmune group of companies and third parties working on behalf of Adaptimmune as set out in the consent form.
3. To the storing and processing of your personal information outside of the European Union and to the transfer of personal information between the EU and the United States.
4. To the storing of personal information for the periods set out in the Privacy Notice.
5. You understand that you can withdraw your consent at any time.*
Do you have the independent right to live and work in the UK?*
Do you have previous or current line management experience?*
Do you have previous or current project leadership experience?*