Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
The successful candidate for this Policy & Government Affairs Manager position will play a pivotal role in formulating and executing a comprehensive strategy to enhance the business’ profile, reach and influence in the public policy environment, with the ultimate aim of optimizing patients’ access to medicines.
Essential Function Responsibilities
- Prepare, champion and execute activities to shape public policy in relevant areas, informing and engaging with political debate, legislation and national policies with the ultimate aim of optimizing patients’ access to medicines.
- Develop and maintain trust-based relationships with MPs, Peers, civil servants and influencers in the broader policy environment, acting as BMS’s ambassador and account manager for many of these stakeholder groups.
- Provide strategic and tactical counsel to the BMS UK organization on both risks and opportunities arising from changes to the policy and political environment. Share insight and information about the external policy environment across the business.
- Develop and maintain clear BMS positions on issues of government policy, establishing distinct messages and ensuring input and alignment across key functions.
- Work with the PAGA Associate Director to ensure the teams remains coordinated in its engagement with external stakeholders, identifying optimum approaches to appropriate account management and alignment
- Work with UK senior management, specifically the PAGA Associate Director, General Manager and Director, Market Access and External Affairs, to enhance engagement with external stakeholders and ensure BMS interests are maximised through trade association memberships
- An enthusiastic advocate, you will be motivated by the goal of improving the lives of patients through by enhancing access to medicines and contributing to the wider health policy environment.
- You might be involved in local politics, hold academic qualifications in public policy or have previously worked in Parliament. Regardless, you will have a thorough knowledge and understanding of UK politics, the national health landscape, public health priorities and medicines and life sciences policies
- You will be familiar with key stakeholders e.g. industry groups, Parliamentarians, health and social care influencers, etc.
- You will be an excellent communicator, capable of absorbing and summarizing complex issues, using clear written communication tailored to the audience. Your presentation skills will be crisp and compelling, and you will be confident engaging with senior internal and external stakeholders
- Extensive experience in policy and government affairs activities through either in-house or agency work is essential, as well as work with relevant stakeholders, including civil servants, politicians, patient groups and/or senior NHS managers
- You will likely have experience in a rapid-response environment, managing competing demands within tight deadlines and in working with cross-functional teams in a matrix organization
- You will have the foresight to predict future trends and challenges, and to use those insights to develop new plans that keep BMS competitive
- Experience working with or within the pharmaceutical industry (>3yrs) is required, including intimate knowledge of industry code of conduct
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.