About Tech Nation
Tech Nation is the growth platform for tech companies and leaders. We fuel the growth of game-changing founders, leaders and scaling companies so they can positively transform societies and economies, by providing them with the coaching, content and community they need for their journey in designing the future.
We bring together a network of purposeful founders, leaders and philanthropists, progressive enterprises and policymakers, influential funds and institutions so we can collaborate in building the technological innovation that will improve the future for the UK and beyond.
We provide learning and content, insights and analysis, coaching and research. We’re laser focused on delivering powerful outcomes and impact, because collectively we want to create a world in which anyone with vision and drive can access the skills and support needed to scale and succeed as a game-changing leader. #WeAreTechNation. We fuel growth.
Our company values:
- Deliver impact that lasts
- Collaborate to innovate
- Inform to inspire
- Be all in
About the role
The role requires creating and managing proactive and reactive communications with stakeholders, from planning to execution, including writing speeches, presentations, press releases, securing events with ministers and entrepreneurs and scheduling interviews for the CEO and exec team. You will also represent the organisation at key events. The pace is fast moving. To support you, you will lead a small team of six people, and have access to a budget to manage an external PR agency.
You will be diplomatic and have the ability to multitask. You will be comfortable in a range of different environments from Whitehall, to Old Street, to Singapore . You will be an excellent communicator and have an interest in tech policy and how to bring intricate political issues and legislation alive to tech entrepreneurs. You will be expected to directly engage with stakeholders at the most senior levels across government and the public and private sectors.
As Director of Communications & Stakeholder Affairs, you will be on the executive team and responsible for:
- Tech Nation’s external engagement and reputation management strategy
- Managing key stakeholders, from the British Government, both nationally and internationally as well as other constituents which make up the ecosystems such as VCs, universities, local government, trade associations and international networks
- Media strategy, engagement, ongoing management and management of PR agencies
- Drive social media engagement and profile
- Manage the Fintech Delivery Panel and Lawtech Delivery Panel
You will work in collaboration with the Marketing Director to:
- Manage content production and forward planning for campaigns
A day in the life of the Communications and Stakeholder Affairs Director might look something like:
- Plan and execute a external relations strategy, setting out key influencers and modes of engagement with each
- Build and deliver an external communication plan which sets out the messaging and narrative for the company clearly, succinctly and effectively
- Schedule media interviews for the Tech Nation Board and Executive Team
- Collaborate with the COO to create content that can be shared with Tech Nation colleagues internally. For clarity, internal strategic comms is owned by the comms director whereas operation-related comms is owned by COO.
- Help the company drive results against its plan and KPIs, including Average Value Equivalent, NPS scores and page views generated
- Identify the key policy priorities and levers for Tech Nation’s business strategy and develop government affairs, advocacy and public policy agenda in full alignment with the organisation’s short and long-term business goals.
- Continue to nurture relationships with the core DCMS sponsor team, and manage the flow of information between Tech Nation and the key government stakeholders inc HMT, BEIS, DIT amongst others.
- Build new strategic and operational relationships with grant funding organisations who believe in our mission and vision, so we can win bids to deliver more impact
- Build support for government bids working with the exec team for new funding to deliver additional impactful services that help build & reinforce entrepreneurial communities
- Put together a coherent and targeted strategic comms and policy-influencing agenda, as well as ensure Tech Nation’s communication is politically sensitive, nuanced and targeted both to government and tech entrepreneurs.
- Identify any potential areas of collaboration and risk with national and local government and where relevant work with the right team within the organisation to deliver projects or mitigate risks
- Work closely with the CEO and ensure emails, briefs and follow-ups are completed in a timely manner.
- Deputising for the CEO as required in public arenas and representing Tech Nation in the media and public fora.
In order to execute your duties, you will
- Work collaboratively across the team, particularly with the executive team and with external partners and stakeholders.
- Use accepted company’s practices to track your progress.
- Manage expectations at each step with all involved, from internal team members to external stakeholders.
- Be KPI and OKR (Objective Key Result) driven in your way of working
As well as sharing our ambitions and values, you will have:
- Experience in technology policy or similar
- Significant experience in developing and executing high-profile communications initiatives that can enhance the reputation of the company.
- Proven track record of working across a number of diverse issues and have a strong interest in the motivations of political stakeholders and seek to effective engagement to bring about change.Highly diplomatic individual with a passion for the impact of technology on the UK
- Have successfully worked with remote teams
- Ideally have experience working with UK national government
Does this sound like you?
- Strong analytical and verbal skills; quick thinker and clear communicator.
- Ability to quickly assess a room and think through how best to position the company
- Demonstrate superior judgment based on skills, intuition and experience.
- Have a record of establishing credibility with senior stakeholders
- Execution focused and have a proven record of success in complex environments.
- Results-driven, high-performing, high-quality work attitude
- You must demonstrate the maturity to work independently on a day-to-day basis and have the wisdom to know when to collaborate, delegate and/or escalate.
What’s in it for you?
- Untangl, which includes access to a cash plan that covers health, protection and well being.
- Perkbox - choose your own perks!
- A shiny new macbook
- A 9% employer pension contribution
- An exec benefit package
- A flexible work environment
- Cycle to work scheme (up to £1,000)
- Season ticket loan (up to £5,000)
Where to from here?
We welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our team includes women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the university-educated, and people of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Obviously, we’re looking to ensure it’s a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day.
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply to life at Tech Nation. We are committed to a fair and accessible recruitment process for all candidates. We would be happy to meet any accommodation requests during the application or interview process, please just let us know.