Arboricultural and Woodlands Officer
Grade 7 salary £29,766 - £35,724 (£37,842 unconsolidated maximum, achievable through performance-related progression)
Hours: Full-time, 36 hours per week
Contract status Permanent contract
Location: Denmark Road, Carshalton
DBS Required (Enhanced)
You will be working as part of a busy and friendly team within Neighbourhood Services.
Duties will include:
- Inspecting, recording relevant information on database and making management recommendations on the Council tree stock
- Managing and monitoring the Councils term tree contractor
- Providing a consultation service to the Planning and Insurance sections on all Arboricultural related issues
- Dealing with a variety of enquiries from residents, Councillors, and other departments
- Attending emergency call outs during and outside of normal working hours on a rota basis
- Writing reports on any aspect tree management for the Councils Insurance section, Planning, Local Committees and other stakeholders
- Implementing tree planting and woodlands schemes, engaging communities and promoting ownership, as well as sourcing external funding to carry out such schemes
- Hold a minimum of a Level 3 Arboricultural qualification
- Have knowledge and experience in the Arboricultural industry, including investigating and specifying health & safety issues, and recommending amenity tree management work within the public realm environment
- Be able to communicate effectively, putting technical issues into simple terms that stakeholders can understand easily whether explaining face to face or in writing.
- Be hard working, proactive, enthusiastic and able to make an effective contribution in a multi-disciplinary working environment
- Have a valid, clean driving licence and access to a car
- Have office and computer skills to deal with a challenging workload
- Have experience in analysing detailed information relating to Insurance claims - and of writing reports and making Arboricultural recommendations in mitigation
You will also be committed to continuous improvement in the management of the Council's tree stock and the service provided to the public and your own professional development.
We offer a huge variety of staff benefits including-
- 27 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Flexi-time (applicable up to grade 9 only)
- Local and national discounts for shopping, eating out and leisure activities
- Comprehensive learning and development programme
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Bicycle loan facilities and cycle to work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership Interested?
Please apply online by completing our application form and attaching your CV. Please ensure you refer to the Role Profile.docx when completing your supporting statement.
The London Borough of Sutton is Disability Confident Committed.
We guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the advertised role and ensure that our recruitment and selection process is inclusive and accessible.
For further information or if you have any questions contact Ben Morris Neighbourhood Services. Telephone , or email
Closing date: 17 July 2020
Interview date: 3 August 2020