Lead Systems Management Engineer
We are currently working in partnership with United Utilities, the UK's largest listed water company providing regulated water & waste water network in the North West. Having recently embarked on an ambitious digital journey they are now recruiting with a fresh focus, a clear vision and some incredible digital transformation in-flight, there's never been a better time to join them.
Working at United Utilities you'll continuously make a positive impact on society, providing an essential service to millions of people as well as playing a huge role in creating a cleaner, greener environment by ultimately reducing water waste & improving water quality across the North West using innovative technology.
To help set them on the right path we're now looking for a Lead Systems Management Engineer to join the team - a fantastic opportunity to be responsible for routine and non-routine complex build, provisioning, support, maintenance, availability and the life cycle management of systems management infrastructure and associated software technologies underpinning United Utilities current and future IT strategy. Services include, but are not limited to, systems monitoring and alerting, software configuration management, host network segmentation platform, network time protocol appliances, source code management repositories and enterprise search platforms.
What you'll do
- Ensure systems management platforms and associated services are reliable and their available 24/7/365, where applicable.
- Ensure performance, optimisation and tuning of systems management and services
- Subject matter expert for general configurations, implementations and operational requirements.
- Ensuring IT systems and services comply with regulatory and legal requirements such as GDPR, NIS directive, etc.
- Ensure effective security is developed and maintained within systems and services
- Provide out-of-hours support for changes, upgrades, migrations and go-live of key IT systems.
- Identify and initiate service improvements and efficiency's using automation.
- Supervise and mentor other team members when appropriate.
- Contribute to development of a technology life cycle roadmap that captures life cycle and replacement of supported products.
- Assist in the development of the strategic plan for infrastructure management and automation tools.
- Act as technical escalation for all systems management products and services.
- Deputise for the Systems and Compliance Services Manager when necessary.
What you'll bring
- Good understanding and knowledge of Operating systems, like Windows, Linux and Solaris.
- Demonstrate clear and concise technical writing ability.
- Experience of Microsoft System Center and able to demonstrate expert knowledge of at least one of
- SCOM, SCCM or SCORCH.
- Experience and knowledge in Microsoft components and infrastructure software and associated
- management and monitoring capabilities.
- Experience of working in a Linux command line environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of orchestration and automation platforms and associated technologies.
- Experience with several Scripting languages for example PowerShell, Shell and Bash scripts, Perl.
- Experience with data interchange languages like XML, JSON and YAML.
- Experience of using source code repositories, for example MS TFS, Subversion, Git.
- Technical and implementation experience of security protocols and certificates.
- Experience in TLS/SSL/PKI concepts and certificate deployment and renewal.
- Technical understanding of operational tools, automation and protection technologies.
- Experience with diagnostic and troubleshooting tools.
- Demonstrate methodical and analytical approach in troubleshooting, problem solving with a sense of ownership.
- Experience with diagnostic and troubleshooting tools to resolve systems management and associated service faults and performance issues.
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.