ER Consultancy Advisor People Services Grade F - (£31,875 - £37,440) Headquarters Closing Date: Friday 25th September 2020 OVERVIEW
Merseyside Police is a modern force with traditional values and serves a population of 1.5 million people. Our Force covers a geographical area of 647 square kilometres and currently employs over 6,000 people in a variety of roles. We are committed to putting our communities first, preventing crime, protecting people and pursuing offenders.
Due to internal promotion, we are currently seeking a talented Employee Relations Advisor to join our People Services team. This is a fantastic opportunity for an HR professional looking to take the next step in their career.
The successful candidate will assist in the delivery of an efficient, effective and professional Employee Relations support service to Strands and Departments, through the provision of specialist People Services advice and guidance to ensure the maintenance of operational delivery through effective people management. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- To foster a partnership approach to the delivery of People Services for local support ensuring that operational delivery is maintained through effective people management and providing expert advice and guidance to line managers, across a broad range of people management issues
- To provide advice and guidance to Strand and Departmental managers in the interpretation of Force policies to assist them in making appropriate decisions. The subject of such advice may include Employment Law, Police Staff Terms and Conditions of Employment, Police Regulations, the Hay Job Evaluation process and all manner of Force HR policy and procedure.
- To support the review, development and implementation of a programme of People Services policies to ensure that they remain fit for purpose.
- To maintain the Hay Job Evaluation Scheme for police officer and police staff roles, including the quality assuring of Questionnaires, acting as the Technical Advisor dealing with the administrative appeals processes to ensure equitable pay and grading arrangements.
- To act as an Employee Relations Advisor to Chief Officers and line managers at UPP discipline, capability and Regulation 12/13 hearings, and business change processes providing guidance and support to relevant managers throughout the various stages of the formal process, including attendance at the hearing to give advice to the chairperson.
- To maintain comprehensive and accurate records in relation to employee caseload, which will include disciplinary, capability, UPP, grievance and sickness absence cases.
- To develop effective and cohesive working relationships with colleagues across the People Services Directorate, attending regular meetings and ensuring customer needs are met.
- To work as part of the Performance & Attendance Improvement Unit focussing on problematic attendance and performance issues across the organisation, providing support to managers to bring about successful outcomes in attendance and performance levels.
- To be accountable for all Health & Safety issues, to include risk assessment, pertaining to the post holder's area of responsibility in order to fulfil the statutory obligations of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.
- Undertake all responsibilities relating to information management, data quality, information sharing, intelligence and information security in accordance with the ACPO Guidance on the Management of Police Information
- Strong generalist HR background
- Chartered membership of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (MCIPD) - Level 7
- Experience of leading on casework, with the ability to make quick and accurate decisions across the full range of people management issues
- Thorough knowledge of employment law and be up to date with a large body of changing case law in order to ensure that policies and advice are fit for purpose
- Knowledge and understanding of the technical details of the Hay method of Job Evaluation
- Good analytical skills with the ability to solve problems
- Ability to manipulate data to aid greater analysis of information and be able and willing to work flexibly in different settings and on different topics
- Self-motivated and organised
- Confident with the ability to work under pressure
In return for your commitment, you will receive:
Please note due to the volume of applications we receive, we reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the published closing date. Police Officers who have given notice that they are retiring within the next six month period can apply for Police Staff vacancies that are advertised externally. If successful the applicant must be in a position to commence on a date specified by the hiring manager. Please base your evidence on the knowledge and experience on the attached Questionnaire utilising the competencies contained within the Competency Value Framework
- Competitive salary
- City Centre Location with free parking
- 32 days holiday including bank holidays (pro rata) - increasing with length of service
- Pension scheme with employer contributions
- Flexi-time scheme
Please click here to view the Competencies Values Framework Equality Act 2010
Any candidate who has a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010, is required to inform us, in order to ensure that 'reasonable adjustments' can be made. Our policy, at the stage of interview, is that we will ask all candidates whether we need to make any 'reasonable adjustments' in accordance with the Equality Act 2010. Under the Equality Act, a disabled person is someone with a physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out day-to-day activities. Positive Action
Merseyside Police are proud to use Positive Action to redress the balance of under representation our team will offer advice, guidance and support throughout the recruitment process to candidates from under-represented groups. For more information please refer to our Positive Action page https://www.merseyside.police.uk/police-forces/merseyside-police/areas/careers/join-us/positive-action-recruitment-team/
Questionnaire Candidate Guidance Notes