A Project Engineering Lead (PEL) is required to Surveillance and Protection Technologies (S&PT) within the EW line of business. This lead role will be primarily focused on engineering development activities for Electronic
Countermeasures (ECM), providing management, technical direction and leadership within an Integrated Product Team in conjunction with the Chief Engineer. The PEL role will also be required to support business winning opportunities within S&PT for development projects.
The PEL will be responsible for the Engineering technical solution, schedule and budget, engineering milestone adherence. The PEL will be working closely with the Customer/End User and internal stakeholders to agree the optimal technical solution and manage the Engineering deliverables.
The PEL will also be responsible for creating and owning the Engineering Management Plans and ensuring that the
Engineering aspects of the projects are delivered in accordance with Company Life Cycle Management process, company and legislative standards and be responsible for the planning and managing the maturity design reviews.Key Responsibility Areas
To promote an IPT approach during Customer engagement and facilitate compliant cost, schedule and technical solutions by working effectively with all internal stakeholders including Capability management, the IPT lead, the Engineering functions and the Manufacturing and Supply chain.
Work with the IPT to deliver:
- Candidate concept solutions including the results of any de-risk studies
- A design solution that maximises the re-use of existing 'resources', is producible, robust and works in its environment, i.e. is fit for purpose
- Management of multi-disciplined Engineering teams, ensuring that roles within the teams are clearly defined
- Establish and maintain good lines of communication across the Engineering IPT and upwards to the IPT lead
- Management of the Engineering technical quality, schedule and budget
- Support the management of Suppliers and project Make or Buy decisions as required
- Managing upward reporting and management of Customer expectations in line with agreed solution
- Control project configuration and change management
- Identifying technical risks and mitigation strategies
- Ensure that the design rationale is documented
- Input to the Project Cost Review Board (PCRB) process for UPC management
- Ensuring effective implementation of the company's Life-cycle
Management, including Design & Gate Reviews and Processes, to:
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- Agree qualification & acceptance criteria and design certification
- Validating and Meeting Targets for Development of Design Maturity
- Be responsible for all engineering aspects of the monthly Project Performance Reviews
- Ensuring compliance with Regulatory and Safety Standards
- Personally coach and mentor other engineers - principally those in a similar career path
- Work with Engineering Function management to ensure a capable and resourced team is deployed to execute the work packages.
- Degree qualified (or equivalent)
- Good problem solving ability
- Good schedule and budget control
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Commercially aware
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
- Strong leadership competency but also can demonstrate team working skills
- Knowledge of engineering life-cycle and business process.
- Good understanding of RF systems with ECM being desirable
Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,600 employees. With its offices and industrial plants, the Company is present in 180 sites worldwide, with a significant industrial presence in four domestic markets (Italy, the UK, the U.S. and Poland) as well as strategic partnerships in the most important high potential international markets.