About the role:
We are currently seeking an industrial electrical technician, to support the specialist process controller in ensuring the overall operation of our desalination plant. You will need to inspect, maintain, fault diagnose, test, install, modify or repair as appropriate, electrical plant equipment, alongside supporting operating the plant.
Working within the team you will follow a robust maintenance plan as well as getting involved in installation projects, electrical fault finding, project commissioning and emergency breakdown repairs to ensure our plant operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Key accountabilities include:
- Inspecting and carrying out pre-planned and mandatory servicing maintenance on equipment as required within manufacturer’s guidelines and Thames Water standards
- Carrying out routine machinery checks in addition to un-scheduled emergency maintenance work
- Delivering up to date technical advice and provide support for technical trainees
- Carrying out the repair and maintenance of electrical motor drive systems and associated controls including inverter drives
- Participating in a stand-by rota following completion of relevant training
- Working on equipment with a range of voltages up to 690 Vac
- Reviewing of RAMS (Risk assessment/ Method statement)
- Providing a daily electrical support to specialist process controller
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- We are looking for a qualified electrician with excellent experience working on industrial equipment
- The minimum requirement for candidates is that they have completed an electrical/ multi-disciplined apprenticeship and minimum 17th edition BS7671
- Due to the nature of this role domestic experience is not suitable
- You must have the ability to work with minimum supervision and have knowledge of Health and Safety issues relevant to the industry
- You will also have a proven knowledge of the processing, engineering, electrical environment
- Experience in the water industry and SCADA systems would be advantageous
- You will be prepared to be trained in safety procedures including Confined Space Entry
- As you will be using a company vehicle to make your way around the site a full current driving licence is essential - participation in a 24/7 Out of Hours Standby rota will be required after a suitable period of training and assessment, for which you will receive an additional payment
What’s in it for you:
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 24 days holiday per year increasing to 28 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Click here to find out more about working at Thames Water
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.