Amazon is focused on protecting the health and safety of our employees while continuing to serve people who need our services more than ever. Regular testing on a global scale across all industries would both help keep people safe and help get the economy back up and running. But, for this to work, we as a society would need vastly more testing capacity than is currently available.
Unfortunately, today we live in a world of scarcity where COVID-19 testing is heavily rationed. Until we have an effective vaccine available in billions of doses, high-volume testing capacity would be of great help, but getting that done will take collective action by NGOs, companies, and governments.
For our part, Amazon has begun the work of building incremental testing capacity.
As a Senior Mechanical Process Engineer, you will be responsible for defining, implementing, and qualifying equipment and automation to support Amazon’s COVID-19 Testing initiative. You will be a key member of the development and sustaining teams. You will be the main interface between the Development and Operations teams, as well as the main contact for our equipment partners.
In this role, you will:
· Work with design engineering to identify and escalate manufacturing challenges by enforcing Design For Excellence principles.
· Investigate and introduce new technology and methodology to enhance quality and efficiency of testing.
· Develop and sustain testing processes, including defining equipment, fixture, and automation requirements.
· Manage all issues related to the testing process; ensure effective closure to enable operational success of the testing process.
· Work within Operations, Hardware, and Engineering departments to implement and optimize equipment and automation.
· Bridge the gap from external equipment suppliers to Amazon by supporting development builds and production.
· Support cost reduction and sustaining activities.
· BS in mechanical engineering or a related technical field
· Significant experience in an engineering field
· Experience in mechanical assembly, including Tolerance Analysis and Geometric Design and Tolerance (GD&T)
· Experience in mechanical metrology including OMM, Displacement Lasers, Accelerometers, Confocal Microscopy, and other inspection equipment
· Experience in process characterization and validation using tools such as statistical process control, gauge R&R, standard deviation, design of experiments
· Experience with design for manufacturability, design for automation, and creating process documentation from scratch
· Experience with assembly jig and fixture design
· Experience working with International OEM Partners
· Master's Degree or PhD in Electrical, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
· Ability to work independently and ensure timely and accurate communication between Amazon and our OEM partners
· Good understanding of manufacturing strategy and Design For Manufacturing best practices
· Experienced with CAD (CREO tool preferred)
· Experience with Statistical Analysis Software, Minitab, JMP, MATLAB, etc.
· Experience in Mechanical FEA, Abaqus, COMSOL, ANSYS, etc.
· Inclination to manage and simplify complex mechanical challenges with feasible, cost-effective solutions
· Excellent oral and written communication skills; capable of interfacing at all levels of a business from equipment operators to engineering VP
· Hands-on experience and can-do attitude