We're supporting our clients as they adapt to the unprecedented circumstances brought about by COVID-19. As a result, we're currently only recruiting for essential roles during this time. All interviews, assessments and background checks will take place online, to completely remove the need for face-to-face contact.
It's important to note that most of our sites are now closed and employees are working remotely where they can. Where offices are required to stay open, we are following government guidelines on personal hygiene standards, daily cleaning of employee work areas, maintaining safe distances and limiting the number of people in the office at one time. We also have clear policies on business travel and continuity.
The welfare of our people is of paramount importance to us, and we're doing everything we can to keep our employees and customers safe during this time.Job title:
Parking Design Engineer:
Becoming a Parking Design Engineer
with Barnet Highways will give you the opportunity tocarry out all relevant duties and responsibilities in the work of the Parking (Design) Team on behalf of the wider Highways Service to ensure the delivery of cost effective and quality services in accordance with Re's vision and values so as to enhance the quality of life and physical environment of Barnet and contribute to the prosperity of the borough. Post holder will also provide technical support in the effective and efficient promotion and design of schemes, investigations and analysis as required within budgets and programmes.
Key responsibilities of the role are:What you'll be doing:
What we're looking for:
- Developing briefs, feasibility studies and undertakes design and implementation of schemes, projects and programmes for small and medium sized projects as allocated, including drawing using specialist IT Software.
- Assisting with the design and supervision of projects, preparation of estimates, working drawings and Contract documents for projects of varying complexity, dependent on the potholder's grading.
- Assist in designing specifications and cost estimates, issuing works requisitions, liaising with and supervising contractors and monitoring costs.
- Assisting in obtaining the necessary technical, administrative and financial approvals and in the preparation, supervision and administration of associated consultants' commissions or contracts.
- To lead on projects as allocated.
- Assisting with, or carry out condition surveys and site surveys as directed and to assist with, or carry out the preparation of reports on findings. To assist in the introduction of new methods as necessary to ensure efficient use of resources, including taking an active role in promoting best value.
- Be able to assess a variety of existing and proposed highway layouts - including town centre schemes, traffic signals, road safety schemes, route studies, cycle, bus or School initiative schemes.
- Assisting in preparing scheme plans to requisite design levels, ensuring they conform to technical and industry standards.
- Assisting in design and public consultations to requisite standards produce detailed drawings to technical standards, prepare accurate complex cost estimates and contract documentation.
- Investigate the causes of accidents, analyse options and make recommendation for effective remedial measures.
- Assisting in Commissioning and managing consultant engineering undertaking design and feasibility work to prepare scheme brief and monitor consultants performance as directed by the team leader.
- Assisting with the draft Committee reports which may cover policy issues and to implement decisions arising from them.
- Preparing letters of varying complexity, dependent on the post holder's grading, including assisting with letters on policy matters, proofs of evidence, technical reports, briefs for consultants and other documents of all complexities as may be required.
- Maintaining technical and resource records, and undertake research and technical investigations as directed.
- Representing the service at public and other meetings as directed, dependent on the post holder's grading. To liaise and deal courteously with enquiries from members of the public.
- Carry out duties with due regard to the Re's Customer Care, Equal Opportunities, Information Governance, Data Protection and Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of this post.
About Local Government Services
- Must be able to demonstrate suitable experience in traffic / highway engineering
- General Knowledge of Traffic and Transport Polices and Legislation
- Demonstrate the ability to programme, supervise and monitor a number of projects simultaneously from inception to completion
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good IT Skills - including the use of Autocad
- Good time /budgetary management skills
- Working knowledge of basic legislation
- Confident self-motiving and innovative
- Able to work without close supervision
- Experience of working with consultants/ Contractors
- Ability to keep good work records
- Valid driving licence
- Own means of transport
- Occasional out of normal hours working
At Government Services, we're transforming the way governments and local councils serve the public. We're using technology, innovation and domain knowledge to improve services and deliver savings. Our teams are answering 30,000 emergency service calls every day and our Ultra Low Emissions Zone is helping Londoners breath cleaner air. Join us and discover better as you keep the country running smoothly.What's in it for you?
- A competitive basic salary
- 23days holiday (rising to 25 after 2 years service and27 days after 5 years) with the opportunity to buy extra leave
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks' fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave...and plenty more
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle - from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology
You'll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere in Capita. You'll be joining a network of 63,000 experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we'll provide the support you need to do just that. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.What we hope you'll do next:
Choose 'Apply now' to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you. If you have any questions you'd like to ask before applying, you can contact Charlotte Barnett @ [email protected]
We're an equal opportunity employer, which means we'll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we're committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.Location:
London - 2 Bristol Avenue, ColindaleTime Type:
Full timeContract Type: