Leonardo has a fantastic opportunity for a Principal Systems Engineer on a permanent basis working at our modern and purpose-built Luton (Capability Green) site. The Principal Systems Engineer will need to be a talented and highly experienced systems engineer, familiar with working on large and complex systems within the defence industry and a mindset towards system-of-system design and development.
The Principal Systems Engineer will have extensive experience of the early stages of the engineering lifecycle, preferably associated with conceptual design and technical demonstrator programmes. The role will require strong technical and stakeholder management abilities with which to identify and manage a broad range of stakeholder needs that will inform system requirements, architectures, and design, to ensure the delivery of fully compliant solutions to our customer.
This Principal Systems Engineer role is within the Major Air Programmes business group, and will focus on developing conceptual system designs for a highly integrated multi-spectral avionic sensor suite. The system will provide next-generation capabilities (e.g. detection, identification, countermeasure, and communication) to provide unrivaled mission effectiveness and platform survivability.What you will get:
- Advanced Technology: You will have the ability to contribute to the development of market-leading technology and product development, providing advanced capability and protection to UK platforms.
- EW Expertise: Leonardo has subject-matter experts with extensive and detailed knowledge of the EW domain, technology, performance, and operational capabilities - the learning potential is limitless!
- Continuous Learning: Whether it's EW, engineering lifecycle processes, leadership, or personal development, you'll be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring.
- Teamwork: You will work alongside like-minded professional engineers in a highly collaborative environment.
- Connections: You will be joining an expansive team of around 7,000 people at six major sites across the UK.
- EW Heritage: We are proud of our rich heritage in Electronic Warfare (EW), with 100 years of pioneering EW development. Today we're providing the latest advances in RF technology and enabling our customers to keep pace with an evolving EW environment.
Key Responsibility Areas What you will do
- Understand and interpret user needs / requirements in order to influence and define the system requirements, architecture, and design, liaising with sensor and communication technical specialist teams.
- Utilise operational analysis modelling results to develop the architecture and requirements set.
- Perform systems functional analysis and refine architectures of complex multi-sensor and controller systems.
- Assess system design compliance against user and system requirements, alongside key performance parameters.
- Identify performance improvements and propose candidate solutions and implementation methods.
- Develop reports and presentations for delivery to customers & industry partners.
- Travel within the UK to meet with our customers and industry partners.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
You really must have:
• Experience of architecture development and model-based system design for complex technology systems within a system-of-system context.
• Experience of working with architecture frameworks and development tools.
• High proficiency in multi-level requirements management methods and tool-sets.
• Strong analytical ability, e.g. to support of trade-off studies (performance, technology, cost, etc.) to inform designs and operational capabilities.
• Experience of working in the defence (ideally airborne) sector
• Experience of developing performance and operational capabilities for defence systems.
• Self-motivated with a strong aptitude for problem-solving & decision-making within projects involving design complexity and uncertainty.
• Excellent communication and collaborations skills across internal/external stakeholders at varying levels, including industry partners.
• Excellent written & verbal presentation ability.
It would be nice if you had:
• Proficiency with MATLAB and Simulink.
• Experience of technology demonstrator programmes.
• Knowledge of system processes, performance, and operational capabilities for airborne Electronic Warfare systems (e.g. Defensive Aids Systems, Radar, EO/IR, Communications).
• Understanding of critical enabling technologies for a multi-role future combat air system.
• Experience of applying engineering & business processes, procedures & strategic intent to influence stakeholders & project outcomes.
Life at Leonardo Discover life at Leonardo - a company for extraordinary people
Our UK locations We have offices around the UK, including Basildon, Bristol, Edinburgh, Lincoln, Luton, Southampton and Yeovil
Meet our People Find out more about some of the individuals who make up our talented and diverse workforce
Discover more about Leonardo Company Benefits No matter what your lifestyle choices, Leonardo offers a set of company benefits to suite every individual
Diversity at Leonardo At Leonardo, we choose inclusion and provide a workplace where everyone can be themselves
Investors in People We value our people for their skills, their experience and their perspective
Flexible Working We recognise that 'one size does not fit all' and so we offer a flexible working environment where everyone has the opportunity to fulfil their potential
Skills Education Our STEM ambassadors are committed to inspiring the next generation of talented engineers
Opportunities for the Military From veterans to reservists and cadets, Leonardo provides career opportunities for those who chose to serve our nation