FanDuel Group is a collection of brands operating at the intersection of sports, gaming, tech, and entertainment. Our mission is to give sports fans the chance to win everyday and create experiences they can't wait to share with their friends.
We're not just a company, we're a collective. And we're not just coworkers, we're a community. We're an all-hands-on-deck crew of dreamers, doers, thinkers, makers, builders, breakers, and rebuilders. We value teamwork above all else, and we believe that diversity and inclusiveness are at the core of any good team. Like any good sports team, we've got passion. Passion for building a product our customers will love, passion for being the best in our field, and passion for our own people. With a company that's as committed to its people as it is to its customers, FanDuel Group is a great place to develop yourself and your career. SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
Quality Engineering is an enablement organisation with FanDuel Group Engineering, whilst we are distinct organisation at a peer with each product organisation (e.g. Sportsbook, Fantasy) we have product aligned Quality Engineering teams who act strategically based on the priority, complexity and needs of each project, rather than necessarily being involved in all developments. It also seeks to act as an organisation which builds capabilities to be adopted companywide that improves the ability for product teams to consistently and efficiently build quality products.
This Principal Quality Engineer role is to be a trusted part of the technical leadership of the Quality Engineer organisation within FanDuel Group. As a hands-on technical leader, you split your time between coding, design, and architecture based on where your skills will have the greatest impact (or in response to job requirements). For example, your expertise may be broadly applied and spread across many teams - involved in the technical strategy, design, and delivery of a significant portion of architecture. Or you may personally produce code for a significant, critical, or demanding software and influence just the few teams close to it.
The exact role you play will also change as a larger initiative progresses; during the early phases, broadly influencing several related teams and then subsequently spending weeks or months focusing on a particularly challenging system. Sometimes the mix goes the other way and you spend most of your time broadly influencing multiple teams while occasionally take a deep dive into a critical, highly complex area in a particular team. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESAccountabilities:
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
- You may act a consultative quality engineer where you review test strategy, plans or evaluations for complex or high-risk software development projects that span multiple development teams or verticals.
- You may lead in research, proposal and implementation test strategies for major product and platform software developments often in higher complexity or high-risk developments, that is conducted by all levels of QEs or SEs.
- You will research, propose, influence and implement major improvements to the testing & risk mitigation processes in or across product verticals.
- You will research, propose, influence and implement major improvements to testability & test infrastructure in or across product verticals.
- As a key influencer in planning strategy, you bring business and industry context to technology decisions.
- You set the standard for engineering excellence within Quality Engineering itself.
- Your architectures are exemplary in terms of efficiency, stability, extensibility, and the ability to evolve over time.
- You simplify processes and technologies.
- Your software is robust in the presence of failures, scalable, and cost-effective.
- Your coding practices are exemplary in terms of code organisation, clarity, simplicity, error handling, and documentation.
- You tackle intrinsically hard problems.
- You are able to divide responsibilities to teams for larger pieces of work so that each team can work independently and have the system come together into an integrated whole.
- You are flexible, adapting your approach to meet the needs of the team, project, or product.
- You solicit differing views to change your mind as your learn more.
- You are adept at building consensus.
- You amplify your impact by leading design reviews for complex software projects and/or critical features. You probe assumptions, illuminate pitfalls, and foster shared understanding.
- You align teams towards coherent architectural strategies. You educate, keeping the engineering community up to date on advanced technical issues, technologies and presenting at internal events and conferences, and making yourself available to global QE / SE outreach efforts.
- You help managers guide the career growth of their team members by mentoring, performing promotion assessments, and participating in performance discussions.
WHAT YOU GET IN RETURN
- Degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent work experience.
- You have a proven-track record as an effective Quality Engineer in complex software development projects.
- You have lead the design, implementation, and delivery of test infrastructure in highly ambiguous or significantly complex problem spaces that have a long-term impact on a product, technology or architecture.
- You heavily influence the design and write a significant portion of "critical-path" code. You make the right trade-offs. The problems you solve are significantly complex, but your solutions are as simple as possible.
- You have a proven-track record of making significant organisational improvements in an Engineering organisation's quality/testing processes that enables development teams to better self-serve in complex testing efforts.
- You have built test infrastructure for software platforms that is reliable, has provided meaningful value to development teams and does not cause considerable drag.
- Good grasp in a broad range of data structures and algorithms.
- Solid understanding of design patterns and architectural principles (including applied to test infrastructure).
- Expert in at least one modern programming language. Preferably Java or Python.
- Excellent grasp on relational, non-relational databases, messaging queues and concurrency.
- Experience working with cloud-based infrastructure and technologies, preferably AWS. Understating of containers (e.g. Docker), and orchestration (Kubernetes).
- Passion to automate your work by using scripting languages e.g. Shell scripts.
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Demonstrated abilities driving operational excellence and best practices.
- Demonstrated experience in shipping high quality products and services.
- Familiarity working in an Agile environment.
- An open and collaborative team who value and respect each other
- An autonomous environment where you are empowered to make decisions
- A new technical challenge around every corner, we're never short of interesting problems to solve
- An excellent wellbeing package including, flexible working & uncapped holidays, employee assistance program, full medical, dental and optical cover and cycle to work scheme.
- Excellent development opportunities including, 10% time, hackathons, conference attendance, online and in-office training and a preference to promote from within.
- A stress-free financial package inclusive of, pension, life assurance, share save scheme, value creation rewards and season ticket commuter loans.
We're very proud of the company we have created and the biggest contributor to our success is our people. We strive to create an environment that allows people to bring their whole selves to work, one that promotes a healthy work/life balance and one that is dedicated to supporting the personal and professional development of its people.