As a key member of the accounting department, the General Ledger Senior Accountant I partners with members of the accounting and finance departments as well as teams across other departments throughout the Company. The position provides exposure to key accounting and reporting areas and offers development opportunities that can lead to advanced roles within the accounting organization or within other departments.
- Independent preparation of monthly and quarterly account analyses and reconciliations for a number of general ledger accounts across Vertex’s various entities. • Work closely with members of the finance team to track and record various types of expenses.
- Proactively provide observations/recommendations to all levels of management in order to gain efficiencies in the monthly GL Close process.
- Assists in preparation of internal and external SEC financial statement reporting.
- Clearly articulates and summarizes changes in account or financial statement line items for internal fluctuation reporting.
- Maintains and leverages the financial accounting systems and processes in order to inform critical financial decision-making company-wide.
- Collaborates with key contacts at foreign entities to ensure accurate intercompany reporting.
- Formulates and provides guidance with regard to accounting policies to all levels of both the Corporate Departments in Boston and at other Vertex locations. • Fosters a climate that creates and evaluates “best practice” processes, structures and systems. Help co-workers translate new change goals into practical implementation steps.
- Monitors and evaluates operational efficiency improvements in the business processes and systems utilized to manage responsibilities.
- Partner in championing change and the supporting projects. Ensures team understands the links between the changes and the strategic business direction. Assists with the development and communication of the vision, business case, and requirements for change.
- Provides and interprets data for external auditors during quarterly and year end audits.
- Coordinates SOX documentation and testing with the SEC internal controls team.
Minimum Preferred Qualifications:
- BS with a major in Accounting; CPA, preferred
- some years experience in an accounting environment, preferably within a pharmaceutical company and/or Big 4 accounting firm.
- Microsoft suite of software
- Experience with Oracle Financial Software, SAP or other General Ledger Accounting system a plus
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently with strong attention to accuracy and detail
- Ability to communicate effectively with higher levels of management.
Successful candidates will possess the following competencies:•
- Action Oriented
- Integrity and Trust
- Motivating Others
- Detail oriented
- Priority Setting
- Problem Solving
- Drive for Results
- Time Management
- Change Management
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected]