The R&D Technical Data Manager is responsible for leading the central R&D Technical Data Team, based in Lowestoft. They are accountable for the provision of Technical Data support for R&D projects and the maintenance of specifications to the standards required by Nomad and for compliance with external audit (BRC).
The job holder will need a good general understanding of Nomad Technical Data systems and processes and the importance of accurate, timely Technical Data for the business. They will be able to devise and lead improvement and simplification programmes and to be an advocate for the excellence in Technical Data within R&D.
This role will report to the Head of R&D Expertise and will have line management responsibility for a team of 5, plus occasional temp resources. It is a job role that will allow an individual to build line management experience and have a wide interaction with the different product categories, factories and Teams within Nomad.
The job holder will work in partnership with the Portfolio Data Manager and Data Systems Manager to provide operational leadership for R&D Technical Data and ensure objectives for provision of complete, accurate, compliant Technical Data are met.
The job holder will able to collaborate in a professional manner with Product and Packaging Developers, Procurement, QA and other business functions and external suppliers and organisations. Responsibilities
- Line management of Team of 5 Assistant Technical Data Managers
- Design and implement robust procedures for managing specification review across Nomad Foods to ensure technical changes are captured and BRC requirements satisfied. Work closely with Data Team and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to ensure annual review plan is implemented
- Define and implement robust processes for project support to provide proactive, timely support for key projects, ensuring all data available by LP
- Build resource management tool for Data Team to ensure work requests can be delivered on time and Team is correctly resourced
- Deliver timely reporting of status of Technical Data and follow up action plans
- Design and deliver an active L&D programme to continually upskill Technical Data team, and to build R&D capability-embedding Right First Time mentality
- Ensure timely Data approval of specifications
- Ensure robust processes in place for management of delists and removal of obsolete information from systems
- Ensure that all specifications are written to meet Nomad Foods standards and have been signed by Suppliers, where required, to protect the business from potential liability
- Maintain good working knowledge of ingredients, Supply Chains & manufacturing processes
- Build and maintain strong relationships with Colleagues in R&D and other functions (R&D Data Managers, Product & Packaging Developers, Quality, Procurement, and Marketing)
- Identify new ways of working to ensure effective sharing of information between functions and that such approaches are fully implemented and adopted
- Proactive and timely communication of opportunities, progress, issues, risks, etc to R&D management and key Stakeholders
- Support the data management simplification and improvement programme by identifying opportunities and implementing changes
- Work with Technical Data Colleagues to provide rapid & professional incident support by expert interrogation & extraction of specifications data
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, preferably in a relevant science related subject
- Track record in R&D or QA, to include experience of technical data (specifications)
- Proven success in leading and developing a specialist Team
- Experience of working across functions and locations, building strong relationships that help deliver results
- Strong commercial acumen and understanding of the role of Technical Data within a fast-paced consumer business
- Good technical English language skills
- Some prior experience of audit requirements and processes
- Experience of working with Quality Assurance
- Some prior project management experience
- Knowledge of Specification systems
- Knowledge and understanding of the food industry
- Knowledge of food raw material and processes
- Knowledge of Local and European Food Product and labelling regulations