Senior Software Developer- Java/ C#/ .Net
Location: Devonport, Plymouth or Ashchurch, Tewkesbury. The Babcock Mission Systems Solutions team responds to customer demand for bespoke and custom technical solutions, ranging from novel interface solutions up to full development of computer and network systems in domains such as:
- Command & Control and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Electronic Warfare and Signals Intelligence (SIGINT)
- Situational Awareness
- Communications Networks / Control Systems
The Solutions team holds technical ownership of a number of communications and intelligence products and supports the Business Development team by providing capability and proof of concept demonstrations to prospective customers. The team reaches in to the extensive technical and project resource within Mission Systems providing total support to projects throughout the development lifecycle.
This growing Solutions team is recruiting for a Senior Software Developer with strong experience in object-oriented Software Development, Computer Engineering and networks, to deliver novel solutions to our expanding current and prospective customer base. Reporting to the Information Systems Solutions Manager, the Senior Software Developer will be responsible for the delivery of software development tasks in support of our product portfolio.
Tasking will include the development of bespoke interfaces to external systems, data proxies and simulation systems that will be used to present high-quality live demonstrations to our customers. The Software Developer will be expected to take ownership of projects - planning, developing and presenting proof of concept solutions to customers with support from the wider team as required. This is an excellent opportunity for a confident, skilled and experienced Software Engineer with extensive development expertise to move into a key role in a high-profile customer-delivery-focussed team.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the following areas:
- A solid background of object-oriented software development using either Microsoft .Net Framework (C#), Java or Python is essential for this role.
- Development of systems utilising technologies such as HTTP REST, XML, JSON; Databases such as SQLite, PostgreSQL. Familiar with connecting to systems using existing APIs.
- Experience working with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP networking including development for data exchange and transmission.
- Sound fundamental knowledge of IP Network and System architecture design, Database architectures, Active Directory, Group Policy, Virtualisation technologies and Serial Communications is also highly desirable.
- Hardware integration and configuration - for example integration of communications hardware (modems, radio receivers, cryptographic equipment), Proposing IT hardware such as servers, workstations, storage. A knowledge and understanding of defence and government communications networks would be advantageous but not essential.
- Radio Frequency (RF) Engineering, fundamentals of RF, signals test and measurement. RF hardware (signal generation, spectral analysis) would be beneficial for some projects, although not essential for the role.
In this role you will be expected to:
- Undertake requirements gathering exercises with existing and potential customers.
- Undertake troubleshooting on existing systems to understand shortfalls and propose solutions.
- Develop rapid prototype architectures and system designs to meet customer requirements and timescales.
- Present products and solutions externally to customers and internally to senior management.
- Work closely with project teams including Project Management, Systems Engineering, Integrated Logistics Support, Engineering, Commercial and Business Development to develop costed proposals for new solutions that fully meet customer requirements.
- Support trade shows and exhibitions, both presenting Babcock products and solutions to delegates and also providing technical support for products on trade stands.
- Visit customer sites and establishments to view existing systems and work with operational staff to build customer relationships. This will mostly be in the UK but occasional overseas travel may be required to visit customers and suppliers.
- Provide technical assistance and domain expertise into bidding and tendering activities.
The successful candidate will have:
- A positive "can-do" attitude - this role is about timely delivery of solutions, not just about identifying problems!
- A willingness to think outside of the box and propose innovative solutions based on new technologies.
- A confident ability to lead small delivery teams in addressing and presenting to customers and colleagues, but also the self-motivation to work independently where required.
- A drive to deliver results on time, meeting cost and quality targets, taking ownership of problems / issues whilst working diligently towards a resolution.
- A relevant Engineering or IT qualification such as a degree, foundation degree or HND.
- Chartered or Incorporated status with a Professional Body such as The IET or British Computing Society. Alternatively, Membership and evidence of working towards Chartered or Incorporated status.
Due to the sensitive nature of some of our existing and target projects the successful candidate will be expected to obtain and maintain a Developed Vetting (DV) security clearance. #LI-POST