Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britain’s railway. From Crossrail – Europe’s largest civil engineering project – to investment in world-class stations and major programmes of electrification, we're involved in some of the most ambitious and diverse ventures that this country has ever seen.
Capital Delivery is a regionally and discipline-based business unit of Network Rail. Its remit is the efficient delivery of renewals and enhancements on our railway through professional control and management of capital projects. Infrastructure Projects is aligned closely to Network Rail’s eight routes to give better coordination across the business and to deliver capital projects efficiently and at best value.
Brief Description We are recruiting for a Quantity Surveyor / Commercial Manager to work within our Capital Delivery Eastern Region. Based at our offices in Stratford (London) you'll provide post-contract commercial management of medium value/medium risk activity and support pre-contract activity within the project delivery team’s scope of work, providing specialist commercial advice, guidance and recommendations to mitigate commercial risks. About the role (External)
- Support the programme and project teams in monitoring for breaches of compliance with Network Rail Corporate governance and rules in a timely manner.
- Manage cost reporting of all allocated projects within the Network Rail reporting framework including Cost Forecasting, Anticipated Final Cost, Cost of Work Done, Gross Billing and Current Contract Value.
- Monitor, manage and report on all commercial aspects of allocated projects, flagging issues and proposing mitigation actions at the earliest opportunity to Project Manager and/or Programme Manager (functional reporting line) and/or Senior Commercial Manager.
- Monitor awareness of all activities on allocated projects in order to influence decision making from a commercial perspective. Review contractor delivery; including leading valuation of medium value/medium risk contracts and attending all progress meetings to actively influence contractor’s commercial behaviours, delivery and activity.
- Manage assessment and valuation of contractor’s applications and processing of payment certification in accordance with Network Rail processes, contractual terms and conditions and commensurate with contractual entitlement. Challenge cost elements, audit where appropriate and make sure valuations are consistent with agreed site progress.
- Provide pro-active advice and guidance to Project Managers on all change including proposed scope changes, recommending appropriate action in accordance with Network Rail change control systems and produce all required documentation for approval in accordance with levels of delegated authority, including comparative estimates where required, in a timely manner.
- Produce applications for payment/invoices to outside clients in accordance with relevant funding agreements, including supporting documentation as appropriate.
- Identify and advise on all commercial risk/claim events.
- Provide of ad-hoc management information and analysis to promote informed decision-making.
- Produce appropriate commercial correspondence and contractual notices for issue in accordance with contractual conditions. Make sure commercial records are retained and archived properly upon close out.
- Undertake final account settlements and internal reconciliation to project close-out as per the project authority, project plan and within agreed timescales.
- Support demonstration of efficiencies and continual improvement of estimating by undertaking cost analysis of completed projects and feedback as per Cost Allocation Feedback process.
- Support pre and post contract procurement activities as appropriate.
- Provide support to estimating resources, offering guidance and advice on project scale/scope as required.
- Support the negotiation of all prices under existing contracts/framework agreements (including the negotiation of target costs) and fully participate in the associated quantitative risk assessment and value management workshops, as required.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrable experience in commercially managing investment projects
- Demonstrable relevant experience
- Good understanding of railway and construction industry forms of contract
- Good understanding of the construction/railway industry
- Good negotiation skills
- Educated to degree standard in related subject
- Membership of a relevant professional institute, chartered status
- Significant experience of working within a generalist commercial environment
- Awareness of industry issues
How to apply (External)
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. We positively embrace flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefitsincluding a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets (up to a maximum subsidy of amount of £2,750).
We adhere to a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range:£40,107 - £45,120 plus £3,200 Location Allowance.
Network Rail is required to comply with UK Government standards when carrying out pre-employment checks for all new starters; this includes a basic criminal record check.
Closing date: 14.07.2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.